Legendary Locals of Jamestown

Nonfiction, Art & Architecture, Photography, Pictorials, Travel, United States, History, Americas
Cover of the book Legendary Locals of Jamestown by Rosemary Enright, Sue Maden, Arcadia Publishing Inc.
View on Amazon View on AbeBooks View on Kobo View on B.Depository View on eBay View on Walmart
Author: Rosemary Enright, Sue Maden ISBN: 9781439646182
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing Inc. Publication: July 14, 2014
Imprint: Legendary Locals Language: English
Author: Rosemary Enright, Sue Maden
ISBN: 9781439646182
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing Inc.
Publication: July 14, 2014
Imprint: Legendary Locals
Language: English
When Caleb Carr, one of the 101 men who purchased Conanicut and Dutch Islands in 1657, petitioned the General Assembly to incorporate Jamestown in 1678, the town had 150 inhabitants. The community thrived until the American Revolution, when the British occupation drove away many people. Nicholas Carr and John Eldred both remained, rebelling in their own ways. The town recovered slowly, and its character changed with modernized modes of transportation. Steam ferries, introduced in 1873, ushered in an era of resort hotels, affluent summer visitors, and a service economy. The West Passage bridge in 1940 brought permanent residents with off-island occupations and interests. The East Passage bridge (1969) and the replacement West Passage bridge (1992) created a suburban atmosphere enlivened by a continuing influx of summer vacationers. Most newcomers revel in the island�s beauty and are intent on keeping Jamestown the peaceful haven that attracted them.
View on Amazon View on AbeBooks View on Kobo View on B.Depository View on eBay View on Walmart
When Caleb Carr, one of the 101 men who purchased Conanicut and Dutch Islands in 1657, petitioned the General Assembly to incorporate Jamestown in 1678, the town had 150 inhabitants. The community thrived until the American Revolution, when the British occupation drove away many people. Nicholas Carr and John Eldred both remained, rebelling in their own ways. The town recovered slowly, and its character changed with modernized modes of transportation. Steam ferries, introduced in 1873, ushered in an era of resort hotels, affluent summer visitors, and a service economy. The West Passage bridge in 1940 brought permanent residents with off-island occupations and interests. The East Passage bridge (1969) and the replacement West Passage bridge (1992) created a suburban atmosphere enlivened by a continuing influx of summer vacationers. Most newcomers revel in the island�s beauty and are intent on keeping Jamestown the peaceful haven that attracted them.

More books from Arcadia Publishing Inc.

Cover of the book Vassar by Rosemary Enright, Sue Maden
Cover of the book Remembering the Way it Was by Rosemary Enright, Sue Maden
Cover of the book Lost Restaurants of Jacksonville by Rosemary Enright, Sue Maden
Cover of the book Ghosts & Legends of Colorado’s Front Range by Rosemary Enright, Sue Maden
Cover of the book Red Sox Legends by Rosemary Enright, Sue Maden
Cover of the book Prospect Park by Rosemary Enright, Sue Maden
Cover of the book Santa Monica in Vintage Postcards by Rosemary Enright, Sue Maden
Cover of the book Douglasville by Rosemary Enright, Sue Maden
Cover of the book Men's Lacrosse in Maryland by Rosemary Enright, Sue Maden
Cover of the book Madison County by Rosemary Enright, Sue Maden
Cover of the book Virginia Military Institute by Rosemary Enright, Sue Maden
Cover of the book Peoria by Rosemary Enright, Sue Maden
Cover of the book Charlestown by Rosemary Enright, Sue Maden
Cover of the book African Americans on Martha's Vineyard by Rosemary Enright, Sue Maden
Cover of the book Remarkable Women of Old Saybrook by Rosemary Enright, Sue Maden
We use our own "cookies" and third party cookies to improve services and to see statistical information. By using this website, you agree to our Privacy Policy