Quabbin Valley

Life As It Was

Nonfiction, Travel, Pictorials, Art & Architecture, Photography, History
Cover of the book Quabbin Valley by Elizabeth Peirce, Arcadia Publishing Inc.
View on Amazon View on AbeBooks View on Kobo View on B.Depository View on eBay View on Walmart
Author: Elizabeth Peirce ISBN: 9781439649275
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing Inc. Publication: January 19, 2015
Imprint: Arcadia Publishing Language: English
Author: Elizabeth Peirce
ISBN: 9781439649275
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing Inc.
Publication: January 19, 2015
Imprint: Arcadia Publishing
Language: English

Quaben, the Nipmuc Indian word for "many waters," was the name originally given to the area of central Massachusetts that is now known as the Quabbin Valley. The abundance of ponds, lakes, and streams in the region made it an obvious target for those seeking new water sources to supply the escalating population of Boston in the late 19th century. However, the little towns of Dana, Enfield, Greenwich, and Prescott that were established in the area stood in the way. Following an act of the legislature in 1926, these towns were disincorporated, and the 2,500 inhabitants were given modest compensation and ordered to leave. By 1938, the former towns were flooded and stood at the floor of the reservoir, which held the potential of 420 billion gallons of water to be outsourced eastward. Never to be forgotten, the story of the lost towns and their former residents are displayed through artifacts housed at the Swift River Valley Historical Society in North New Salem.

View on Amazon View on AbeBooks View on Kobo View on B.Depository View on eBay View on Walmart

Quaben, the Nipmuc Indian word for "many waters," was the name originally given to the area of central Massachusetts that is now known as the Quabbin Valley. The abundance of ponds, lakes, and streams in the region made it an obvious target for those seeking new water sources to supply the escalating population of Boston in the late 19th century. However, the little towns of Dana, Enfield, Greenwich, and Prescott that were established in the area stood in the way. Following an act of the legislature in 1926, these towns were disincorporated, and the 2,500 inhabitants were given modest compensation and ordered to leave. By 1938, the former towns were flooded and stood at the floor of the reservoir, which held the potential of 420 billion gallons of water to be outsourced eastward. Never to be forgotten, the story of the lost towns and their former residents are displayed through artifacts housed at the Swift River Valley Historical Society in North New Salem.

More books from Arcadia Publishing Inc.

Cover of the book Maple Grove Cemetery by Elizabeth Peirce
Cover of the book Downingtown by Elizabeth Peirce
Cover of the book Prohibition in the Upper Peninsula by Elizabeth Peirce
Cover of the book Schoodic Point by Elizabeth Peirce
Cover of the book Bridgehampton's Summer Colony by Elizabeth Peirce
Cover of the book Marietta College Baseball by Elizabeth Peirce
Cover of the book Ashland by Elizabeth Peirce
Cover of the book Bienville Parish by Elizabeth Peirce
Cover of the book Wicked St. Louis by Elizabeth Peirce
Cover of the book Filipinos in Vallejo by Elizabeth Peirce
Cover of the book Chesapeake Oysters by Elizabeth Peirce
Cover of the book Jackson Parish by Elizabeth Peirce
Cover of the book Northampton State Hospital by Elizabeth Peirce
Cover of the book The Catawba Indian Nation of the Carolinas by Elizabeth Peirce
Cover of the book African-American Life in Preston County by Elizabeth Peirce
We use our own "cookies" and third party cookies to improve services and to see statistical information. By using this website, you agree to our Privacy Policy