Sugar Creek

Nonfiction, Travel, Pictorials, Art & Architecture, Photography, History
Cover of the book Sugar Creek by Piland, Richard N., Sugar Creek Historical Center, Arcadia Publishing Inc.
View on Amazon View on AbeBooks View on Kobo View on B.Depository View on eBay View on Walmart
Author: Piland, Richard N., Sugar Creek Historical Center ISBN: 9781439641057
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing Inc. Publication: November 29, 2010
Imprint: Arcadia Publishing Language: English
Author: Piland, Richard N., Sugar Creek Historical Center
ISBN: 9781439641057
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing Inc.
Publication: November 29, 2010
Imprint: Arcadia Publishing
Language: English
During the 1840s and 1850s, many of the pioneers and much of the supplies they needed for overland trips west from Independence on the Oregon, California, and Santa Fe Trails arrived at Wayne City Landing, the steamboat port on the Missouri River in what is now Sugar Creek. In 1892, Arthur Stillwell, a Kansas City railroad man, founded Fairmount Park, a first-class pleasure resort in the southern part of Sugar Creek that would be popular until the 1930s. Standard Oil of Indiana purchased land at the north end of Sugar Creek in 1903 and built a major refinery that would dominate the town until it ceased operations in 1982. Sugar Creek�s early growth evolved around the refinery, and in 1920, the Jackson County Court established the City of Sugar Creek. This book illustrates the history of Sugar Creek in more than 200 vintage images, detailing the people, businesses, churches, schools, and community services that have shaped the town�s past.
View on Amazon View on AbeBooks View on Kobo View on B.Depository View on eBay View on Walmart
During the 1840s and 1850s, many of the pioneers and much of the supplies they needed for overland trips west from Independence on the Oregon, California, and Santa Fe Trails arrived at Wayne City Landing, the steamboat port on the Missouri River in what is now Sugar Creek. In 1892, Arthur Stillwell, a Kansas City railroad man, founded Fairmount Park, a first-class pleasure resort in the southern part of Sugar Creek that would be popular until the 1930s. Standard Oil of Indiana purchased land at the north end of Sugar Creek in 1903 and built a major refinery that would dominate the town until it ceased operations in 1982. Sugar Creek�s early growth evolved around the refinery, and in 1920, the Jackson County Court established the City of Sugar Creek. This book illustrates the history of Sugar Creek in more than 200 vintage images, detailing the people, businesses, churches, schools, and community services that have shaped the town�s past.

More books from Arcadia Publishing Inc.

Cover of the book Amherst and Hadley, Massachusetts by Piland, Richard N., Sugar Creek Historical Center
Cover of the book Princeton, Massachusetts by Piland, Richard N., Sugar Creek Historical Center
Cover of the book The Saco River by Piland, Richard N., Sugar Creek Historical Center
Cover of the book New England College by Piland, Richard N., Sugar Creek Historical Center
Cover of the book Westminster College by Piland, Richard N., Sugar Creek Historical Center
Cover of the book Locke and the Sacramento Delta Chinatowns by Piland, Richard N., Sugar Creek Historical Center
Cover of the book Amory by Piland, Richard N., Sugar Creek Historical Center
Cover of the book The St. George Peninsula by Piland, Richard N., Sugar Creek Historical Center
Cover of the book Wicked Washtenaw County by Piland, Richard N., Sugar Creek Historical Center
Cover of the book Remembering Old Jamestown by Piland, Richard N., Sugar Creek Historical Center
Cover of the book Stephens City by Piland, Richard N., Sugar Creek Historical Center
Cover of the book Prescott Fire Department by Piland, Richard N., Sugar Creek Historical Center
Cover of the book Chambers County by Piland, Richard N., Sugar Creek Historical Center
Cover of the book A Brief History of James Island: Jewel of the Sea Islands by Piland, Richard N., Sugar Creek Historical Center
Cover of the book Folsom by Piland, Richard N., Sugar Creek Historical Center
We use our own "cookies" and third party cookies to improve services and to see statistical information. By using this website, you agree to our Privacy Policy