The Grand Haven Area: 1860-1960

Nonfiction, Travel, Pictorials, Art & Architecture, Photography, History
Cover of the book The Grand Haven Area: 1860-1960 by Wallace K. Ewing Ph.D., David H. Seibold D.D.S., Tri-Cities Historical Museum, Arcadia Publishing Inc.
View on Amazon View on AbeBooks View on Kobo View on B.Depository View on eBay View on Walmart
Author: Wallace K. Ewing Ph.D., David H. Seibold D.D.S., Tri-Cities Historical Museum ISBN: 9781439613535
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing Inc. Publication: August 13, 2002
Imprint: Arcadia Publishing Language: English
Author: Wallace K. Ewing Ph.D., David H. Seibold D.D.S., Tri-Cities Historical Museum
ISBN: 9781439613535
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing Inc.
Publication: August 13, 2002
Imprint: Arcadia Publishing
Language: English
Grand Haven is nestled in wooded dunes and surrounded by the waters of Lake Michigan, Spring Lake, and the Grand River. Under the leadership of Rev. William Montague Ferry, the first settlers arrived from Mackinac Island November 2, 1834. In recognition of the port's large, accommodating and safe harbor, Rix Robinson, fur trader and land holder, platted and named the town April 15, 1835. The approximately 200 photographs in this book are from the archives of the Tri-Cities Historical Museum. They provide an invaluable visual glimpse of the places, people, and events that shaped the Grand Haven area, which also includes Ferrysburg and Spring Lake, in the critical century between 1860 and 1960. In Grand Haven's early years the lumber industry took advantage of the towering white pines that grew for miles around, providing lumber for Chicago, Milwaukee, and other port cities. During this period the mineral water spas in Spring Lake, Fruitport, and Grand Haven spawned the area tourist industry that is still alive today. By 1890 the large tracts of forest were gone and the area sawmills closed. The slack was taken up by the Grand Trunk carferries, which began cross-lake service in 1903, making Grand Haven one of the busiest ports on Lake Michigan for the next 30 years.
View on Amazon View on AbeBooks View on Kobo View on B.Depository View on eBay View on Walmart
Grand Haven is nestled in wooded dunes and surrounded by the waters of Lake Michigan, Spring Lake, and the Grand River. Under the leadership of Rev. William Montague Ferry, the first settlers arrived from Mackinac Island November 2, 1834. In recognition of the port's large, accommodating and safe harbor, Rix Robinson, fur trader and land holder, platted and named the town April 15, 1835. The approximately 200 photographs in this book are from the archives of the Tri-Cities Historical Museum. They provide an invaluable visual glimpse of the places, people, and events that shaped the Grand Haven area, which also includes Ferrysburg and Spring Lake, in the critical century between 1860 and 1960. In Grand Haven's early years the lumber industry took advantage of the towering white pines that grew for miles around, providing lumber for Chicago, Milwaukee, and other port cities. During this period the mineral water spas in Spring Lake, Fruitport, and Grand Haven spawned the area tourist industry that is still alive today. By 1890 the large tracts of forest were gone and the area sawmills closed. The slack was taken up by the Grand Trunk carferries, which began cross-lake service in 1903, making Grand Haven one of the busiest ports on Lake Michigan for the next 30 years.

More books from Arcadia Publishing Inc.

Cover of the book Ocala by Wallace K. Ewing Ph.D., David H. Seibold D.D.S., Tri-Cities Historical Museum
Cover of the book New Hampshire Beer by Wallace K. Ewing Ph.D., David H. Seibold D.D.S., Tri-Cities Historical Museum
Cover of the book Seattle's Waterfront by Wallace K. Ewing Ph.D., David H. Seibold D.D.S., Tri-Cities Historical Museum
Cover of the book Lopez Island by Wallace K. Ewing Ph.D., David H. Seibold D.D.S., Tri-Cities Historical Museum
Cover of the book Charleston and the Golden Age of Piracy by Wallace K. Ewing Ph.D., David H. Seibold D.D.S., Tri-Cities Historical Museum
Cover of the book General Sherman and the Georgia Belles by Wallace K. Ewing Ph.D., David H. Seibold D.D.S., Tri-Cities Historical Museum
Cover of the book Hidden History of Staten Island by Wallace K. Ewing Ph.D., David H. Seibold D.D.S., Tri-Cities Historical Museum
Cover of the book Wicked Myrtle Beach & the Grand Strand by Wallace K. Ewing Ph.D., David H. Seibold D.D.S., Tri-Cities Historical Museum
Cover of the book Mount Manresa by Wallace K. Ewing Ph.D., David H. Seibold D.D.S., Tri-Cities Historical Museum
Cover of the book Cleveland Beer by Wallace K. Ewing Ph.D., David H. Seibold D.D.S., Tri-Cities Historical Museum
Cover of the book Legendary Locals of Huntsville by Wallace K. Ewing Ph.D., David H. Seibold D.D.S., Tri-Cities Historical Museum
Cover of the book Kill for Thrill by Wallace K. Ewing Ph.D., David H. Seibold D.D.S., Tri-Cities Historical Museum
Cover of the book The Jefferson Hotel: The History of a Richmond Landmark by Wallace K. Ewing Ph.D., David H. Seibold D.D.S., Tri-Cities Historical Museum
Cover of the book Myrtle Beach Pavilion by Wallace K. Ewing Ph.D., David H. Seibold D.D.S., Tri-Cities Historical Museum
Cover of the book Lake Oswego by Wallace K. Ewing Ph.D., David H. Seibold D.D.S., Tri-Cities Historical Museum
We use our own "cookies" and third party cookies to improve services and to see statistical information. By using this website, you agree to our Privacy Policy