The Jenolan Caves: An Excursion in Australian Wonderland

Nonfiction, Religion & Spirituality, New Age, History, Fiction & Literature
Cover of the book The Jenolan Caves: An Excursion in Australian Wonderland by Samuel Cook, Library of Alexandria
View on Amazon View on AbeBooks View on Kobo View on B.Depository View on eBay View on Walmart
Author: Samuel Cook ISBN: 9781465610294
Publisher: Library of Alexandria Publication: March 8, 2015
Imprint: Language: English
Author: Samuel Cook
ISBN: 9781465610294
Publisher: Library of Alexandria
Publication: March 8, 2015
Imprint:
Language: English
The first of these caves was discovered in 1841 by James Whalan, who lived on the Fish River, near what is now the Tarana Railway Station. Having been robbed by a man named McEwan, he accompanied a police officer in search of the desperado, and tracked him to the romantic spot which forms the centre of the cave reserve, where he was captured. It is possible that some of these caves were known previously to outlaws, who found in them a secure and convenient hiding-place when hotly pursued. But the visit of Whalan on the occasion of the capture of McEwan first brought them into public notice. The name of the bush-ranger is given to the creek which plays an important part in connection with the caves. One of the principal features received its name from the captor, and another—the Bow Cave—is called after some stolen bullock-bows found therein. They were then known as the "Fish River Caves," or as the "Binda Caves." They were called the Fish River Caves because they were in what was then regarded as the "Fish River District," and not very far from the Fish River post-office. They were called the "Binda Caves" after a station about nine miles distant to the northward. And so they were indifferently known until the month of August, 1884, when their designation was officially changed to "Jenolan"—that being the name given by Sir Thomas Mitchell (Surveyor-General of New South Wales) to the mountain from which is named the parish within which the caves are situated. The change of nomenclature was recommended on the ground that the then existing names were infelicitous and misleading,—the caves being not upon the Fish River, but upon a different watershed, separated from it by the main dividing range of the colony. The time was considered appropriate for remedying the mistake, because a map of the parish of Jenolan was then in course of preparation, and would shortly be lithographed and issued to the public. The official correspondence on this subject discloses the fact that "Binda" was first thought of as a good official name, and then "Bindo;" but the former was found to be the name of a post town between Yass and Goulburn, and the latter the name of a village and a mountain nine miles north of the caves, and, like the Fish River, on the west side of the dividing range.
View on Amazon View on AbeBooks View on Kobo View on B.Depository View on eBay View on Walmart
The first of these caves was discovered in 1841 by James Whalan, who lived on the Fish River, near what is now the Tarana Railway Station. Having been robbed by a man named McEwan, he accompanied a police officer in search of the desperado, and tracked him to the romantic spot which forms the centre of the cave reserve, where he was captured. It is possible that some of these caves were known previously to outlaws, who found in them a secure and convenient hiding-place when hotly pursued. But the visit of Whalan on the occasion of the capture of McEwan first brought them into public notice. The name of the bush-ranger is given to the creek which plays an important part in connection with the caves. One of the principal features received its name from the captor, and another—the Bow Cave—is called after some stolen bullock-bows found therein. They were then known as the "Fish River Caves," or as the "Binda Caves." They were called the Fish River Caves because they were in what was then regarded as the "Fish River District," and not very far from the Fish River post-office. They were called the "Binda Caves" after a station about nine miles distant to the northward. And so they were indifferently known until the month of August, 1884, when their designation was officially changed to "Jenolan"—that being the name given by Sir Thomas Mitchell (Surveyor-General of New South Wales) to the mountain from which is named the parish within which the caves are situated. The change of nomenclature was recommended on the ground that the then existing names were infelicitous and misleading,—the caves being not upon the Fish River, but upon a different watershed, separated from it by the main dividing range of the colony. The time was considered appropriate for remedying the mistake, because a map of the parish of Jenolan was then in course of preparation, and would shortly be lithographed and issued to the public. The official correspondence on this subject discloses the fact that "Binda" was first thought of as a good official name, and then "Bindo;" but the former was found to be the name of a post town between Yass and Goulburn, and the latter the name of a village and a mountain nine miles north of the caves, and, like the Fish River, on the west side of the dividing range.

More books from Library of Alexandria

Cover of the book Shakespeare, Bacon, and the Great Unknown by Samuel Cook
Cover of the book Free Joe and Other Georgian Sketches by Samuel Cook
Cover of the book A View of the Constitution (Complete) by Samuel Cook
Cover of the book The Tragedy of Fotheringay: Founded on the Journal of Dominique Bourgoing, Physician to Mary Queen of Scots, and on Unpublished MS. Documents by Samuel Cook
Cover of the book History of the War Between Mexico and the United States With a Preliminary View of Its Origin, Volume 1 by Samuel Cook
Cover of the book Under the Ensign of the Rising Sun: A Story of the Russo-Japanese War by Samuel Cook
Cover of the book Christmas Eve and Christmas Day: Ten Christmas Stories by Samuel Cook
Cover of the book Heath's Modern Language Series: José by Samuel Cook
Cover of the book American Boy's Life of Theodore Roosevelt by Samuel Cook
Cover of the book The World Before the Deluge by Samuel Cook
Cover of the book The Angel over the Right Shoulder: The Beginning of a New Year by Samuel Cook
Cover of the book The Sixth and the Seventh Books of Moses by Samuel Cook
Cover of the book Materfamilias by Samuel Cook
Cover of the book An Account of the Bell Rock Light-House Including the Details of the Erection and Peculiar Structure of That Edifice to which is Prefixed a Historical View of the Institution and Progress of the Northern Light-Houses by Samuel Cook
Cover of the book In the Days of William the Conqueror by Samuel Cook
We use our own "cookies" and third party cookies to improve services and to see statistical information. By using this website, you agree to our Privacy Policy